Instructions For Being Alone
I’ve been through a million — OK, three — breakups before. I’ve spent
plenty of time single in between. I thought I’d be good at this alone
thing by now. I’m an only child, for crying out loud. Instead, on the
heels of another split, I’m amazed at how difficult just being by myself
can be. I have friends – they are wonderful — but I feel a suffocating
solitude at the end of the night, in the morning or at any moment of the
day that isn’t scheduled with distraction. It wasn’t this way when I
was coupled. Just the knowledge that I had “a person” to call my own
(even though I know in my bones that you can never truly call another
person “your own”) was a comfort; that knowledge itself was a constant
companion.
How does one become good at being alone? This question
might be uniquely poignant for those of us fresh out of a breakup, or
still in our 20s, but it’s a question people confront at all stages of
life and for all sorts of reasons, whether it’s a big move to a new
city, an unexpected death, a divorce or any countless number of things
that life can throw your way. And regardless of your romantic status or
friend count, it’s nice to be capable of enjoying a movie or dinner
alone. A friend told me a story about an acquaintance who is married
with kids: She has a meltdown whenever her family goes out of town; she
doesn’t know what to do with herself.
[Judy Ford's] practical tips for conquering solitude are to get creative
(“creativity is the cure of loneliness”), push yourself to “do something
you have never done before” (like taking yourself out to dinner), admit
your loneliness to others (“you might be surprised that they feel
lonely too”), “get cozy with the gaps,” those empty spaces in between
plans, and remind yourself, “Loneliness is not going to kill me.” These
aren’t easy fixes — and may induce eye-rolls from self-help haters — but
they’re crucial to happiness, she argues: “To experience wholeness,
first we experience the void.”
No comments:
Post a Comment